Hosting services available to NCF members (individuals)
Each member has available:
- web space for static (non-dynamic) web pages (see Publishing_Web_Pages)
- FTP access and Web File Manager (see Publishing_Web_Pages)
- web traffic stats (produced by the AWStats package)
- nightly back-up
- email (one account per member), including webmail, POP, and IMAP access
No dynamic page generation faciliaties are avilable (eg., no PHP, JSP, MySQL, etc) to member accounts, but are available to 'organizational' accounts (which can be held by a person).
Apache .htaccess files
NCF's web server is Apache, and .htaccess files are recognized with the following modules enabled:
- mod_auth (for Basic password protection, ie., passowrd in the clear)
- mod_alias (for redirecting)
- mod_rewrite (for remapping)
For more information on these and how to use them, do a Google search.
The absolute path to your web space is:
Hosting services available to Organization accounts
NCF organizational accounts have available:
- all services available to members (web pages, etc)
- sub-domain hosting (eg., myOrgName.ncf.ca)
- full-domain hosting (eg., myOrgName.ca) (but domain name registration has to be done elsewhere)
- PHP5, MySQL5
- no scripting support, no shell access
Organizational email accounts are limited at the moment by old mail server technology; not much is available beyond simple forwarding.
Package installation (such as WordPress) may be possible for organizational accounts by special arrangement.
NCF hopes to expand its hosting services as resources permit.