Dial-up Connection Instructions for Windows 8
Dial-up Quick Configuration Info
If your computer is running Windows 8 then these instructions will assist you in setting a dial-up connection.
What you will need
To use your Windows 8 computer on NCF dial-up you will need:
- A dial-up modem that is connected to a working outside telephone line
- Your NCF account ID (like aa123)
- Your NCF account password - the same one you use to sign into the NCF Start Page
At one time all computers came with dial-up modem cards in them, but today most do not. It is easy to check and see if your computer has a dial-up modem installed or not:
- On a desktop tower there will a phone connector on the back, usually near the bottom.
- On a laptop there will be a phone connector on the side or back; usually they are located on the side, near the hinge-line.
If your computer does not have a dial-up modem you can either install a modem card (available for around $20) or have one installed. You can also buy an external USB modem (about $30) that simply plugs into any USB port.
Setting up a connection
Follow these easy steps:
- Open Control Panel
- Select Network and Sharing Center and select Set up a New Connection or Network
- Select Set Up a Dial-up Connection
- If a modem is not detected then try Set up a connection anyway
- In the dialogue box that appears enter the connection details:
- Dial-up phone number: enter 613-520-1135
- User name: (your account ID in the format aa123)
- Password: (your NCF password)
- Remember This Password: check this box
- Connection name: The default name is Dial-up Connection, but you can identify it as NCF or any other name that you want instead.
- Allow other people to use this connection: check this if you want other users of your computer who have their own accounts on your PC to have access to the dial-up connection.
- Click Connect to dial the connection.
- Open your web browser and it should now load your home page, indicating that you are connected to the internet.
After you have set up the connection any time you open your web browser it should automatically dial NCF and connect you to the internet.
- An excellent video on how to set up a Windows 8 Dial-up connection
- Getting Started (Dial-up) - for a list of instructions for other operating systems
- Tips for Dial-up